Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

How do I join the NC ACS Section?

ACS members are assigned to the section in which they are geographically located. You can join the ACS using the ACS Membership link.

How do I change my contact information with the ACS?

Go to ACS Change Contact Information web page. There you can get information about how to do that in one of three ways, (1) using their on-line form, (2) emailing member services, or (3) calling member services.

What part of North Carolina does the NC Section include?

- Counties within the North Carolina Section American Chemical Society - Bladen, Granville, Moore, Robeson, Caswell, Halifax, Nash, Sampson, Chatham, Harnett, Northampton, Scotland, Cumberland, Hoke, Orange, Vance, Durham, Johnston, Person, Wake, Edgecombe, Lee, Randolph, Warren, Franklin, Martin

- Counties Served by the North Carolina Section American Chemical Society

(These counties have are not affiliated with any other Local Section, but are contiguous with counties that are affiliated with the NC Section.) - Bertie, Columbus, Hertford, Perquimans, Brunswick, Currituck, Hyde, Tyrrell, Camden, Dare, Pasquotank, Washington, Chowan, Gates

How do I get involved in Local Section activities?

Contact us through the Volunteering contact page. Opportunities include providing demonstrations at National Chemistry Day, the NC State Fair, and the Health and Wellness Expo. They also include organizing local and regional conferences and featured speaker presentations. In addition you can become involved by becoming a part of the Executive Committee. To find out what volunteer events are coming up, check out the Section's on-line Calendar.

How do I get information about Local Section activities?

You can subscribe to the Section's email groups. They are listed on the Email Groups Information page, along with instructions about how to get on them. The Section runs two major email groups, "ncacsmembership," which is automatic for Local Section members and used to distribute official NC ACS business, and the "ncacs" email group, which is available to both members and non-members and used to distribute information about activities of the Local Section, job announcements and special events sponsored by local academic, government and industrial institutions. The section also provides email groups for the Women's Chemist Committee, the Chemical Education Committee, the Younger Chemist's Committee, the Senior Chemists Committee, and the Executive Committee (for anyone involved in or interested in Local Section governance).

How do I subscribe to or unsubscribe from Local Section email groups?

To subscribe or unsubscribe, see information on the Email Groups Information Page.

How do I nominate someone for a Local Section office?

Contact Bhaskar Venepali, most recent past Chair, to get more information about what positions are available and the steps necessary for nomination .

How do I nominate someone for the Marcus Hobbs or Distinguished Speaker Awards?

Contact Bhaskar Venepali, most recent past Chair. To get more information about the nature of the awards and the list of previous recipients, go to the Marcus Hobbs Award page and the Distinguished Speakers Award page.

Which colleges and universities are located in the NC Section?

The colleges and universities included in our Local Section's geographical area are listed below:

Who are our neighboring ACS Sections in NC?

There are two other ACS Sections in North Carolina, the Central NC Section and the Eastern NC Section.